Sunday

Bennett Spring


We visited friends in Lebanon Missouri, Friday. During the late afternoon, we drove to Bennett Spring State Park, 12 miles west of Lebanon.
The park is on the site of former grist mills, flour mills and saw mills. The James Brice family were early settlers. Later the Peter Bennett family arrived and opened a mill. The Bennett Mill was very successful and the name was given to the area.
My granddad always referred to Bennett Spring as Brice. If we planned an outing at Bennett Spring, granddad would say, we're going to Brice. I spent many happy childhood Sundays at Bennett Spring State Park.
***********************************************
Bennett Spring is located in the Spring Valley of the Niangua River. The spring is the 3rd largest in the state of Missouri. The park is a popular destination for avid anglers.
Friday afternoon the temperatures reached triple digits, but that didn't stop these Trout fishermen. The water temperature remains at 50 degrees, year round. We visited the park during February '07. There were several folks fishing on that chilly day, also.




***********************************************
This small stone structure overlooks the spring. A shelter house sits on a hill just to the right. A wedding rehearsal was in progress, at the site, Friday evening. I have memories of family picnics at the shelter.

**********************************************
Many times, as a child, I attended services and hymn sings at this little rock church. I witnessed baptizings in the river, mentioned in my July 30, 2007 post. Sister Bennett, affectionately known as Aunt Louie, conducted services at this church. She was my mother and aunt's Bible Study teacher, when they were children.
***********************************************
Bennett Spring was originally known as "Eye of the Sacred One", by Native Americans who first inhabited the area.

The entrance to the small stone structure that overlooks the spring. It's wonderful to stand inside the building and look down at the spring from the windows.


We had supper at the Dining Lodge, Friday evening. This building and other structures were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps, between 1934 and 1937.
**********************************************

30 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Glad I caught this before going back to work tomorrow, Pat. Those are beautiful photos & what wonderful memories you must have of this area. You did a great job capturing the pics to share with us. Very nice!

Rhoda

Andi said...

What wonderful photos and what a beautiful place. I adore your posts Pat...I feel like I get my own personal little tour of each place you visit.

Ann said...

Very interesting. I think we Markles have a Bennett connection -- I'll have to look that up. We were millers in Terre Haute, Indiana, with a mill (now only foundations and a park) spanning a creek. I know relatives spread their way upstream on the Wabash (and possibly further), engaging in mills and mill-related businesses (like inns to house those transporting grain). Beautiful pictures -- thanks for a restful moment.

Rose Mary said...

What a pretty park! I enjoyed reading your special memories of it when you were a child. Standing in that water is about the only good outdoor place to be in these hot temps! Thanks for the fun 'trip'.

the feathered nest said...

Wonderful pictures as usual! We've hardly been anywhere this summer. Thank goodness I can "travel" along with you!

Manuela

Julie said...

Missouri is just so beautiful! Seve4ral months ago a friend and I drove there to pick up a horse and I wished I had more time to stay and visit.

oldmanlincoln said...

Wow. Wow. Wow.

The mill is fabulous or the idea of a mill I just did a story for a magazine about the only working water powered mill in our area. Bear's Mill. I also took a lot of photos of the innards and outside.

You have a ton of excellent photos on your blog and that makes it hard to choose what to feast my eyes on.

Thanks or the visit to my blog. I do appreciate that a lot.

Abraham Lincoln

Deb said...

such beautiful stories to go with your pictures Pat - I love the little rock Church ... how wonderful that you attended services there.

Joann said...

And I enjoyed spending the afternoon with you at Bennett, Pat. Even though I have been there a million times, it is always a special place to me and especially going there with old friends! I love eating at the dining lodge too.

JoAnn

Q said...

Hi Pat,
I have not been! So lovely. I shall remember next time I go southeast to stop.
Missouri is a lovely state even when it is very, very hot!
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Wow, lovely spot. It looks like it was very peaceful. My Artie is wild about fly fishing, so if I show him these pictures, I may end up musing with you on the back porch if I am not careful! :)
Love, Esther Sunday

DebraK from ~the Bunnies Bungalow~ said...

Such great photos & memories. Sounds like a wonderful place to visit. Thank you for the tour!

Rosemary said...

You visit the prettiest places.
How lucky you are!
Thanks for sharing with us.
Rosemary

KLKinFLA said...

Beautiful photos, Pat, and I love that your granddad called it Brice. He sounds like he was a character!
Karen

Garden_Antqs said...

Look like a neat place to visit. I must plan a trip with you some day, you go to the coolest places!!

~~kattz*cottage~~ said...

What a lovely place & your pictures are just beautiful! I always enjoy your blog & all the wonderful places you visit! Missouri such a pretty state!

Kathy

Susie Q said...

Such beautiful pictures dear Pat. You have wonderful memories attached to each one as well which make them real treasures.

I feel like I was able to hop in your pocket and go along with you...with you as my own personal guide!

Loved it all.

Hugs,
Sue

OldBagNewTricks said...

Pat, Thank you so much -- I so needed to slip away today. Your photos are fabulous and thinking of that 50* water was a welcome relief. You are a remarkable tour guide.

Jenny

Mary said...

Pat I really enjoyed sharing your weekend memories - it's so pretty there and you made it very interesting.
Glad you're back home and hanging out on the back porch most likely - enjoy!

Rowan said...

This sounds as though it holds a lot of happy memories for you. The bridge and the small stone building are lovely - I like the Native American name for the spring too.

auntpittypat said...

Loved the trip to Bennet's. This is the kind of weather that always took us down there to try and cool off. Very seldom did we not find relief. Lots of wonderful memories at that place.

Sheila said...

I enjoyed your photos (love the sepia !) and information about the park. The little church is so pretty, and your family's association with it makes it even more interesting.

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I love grist mills! And when people fish for trout...isn't that so peaceful looking? Well not for the trout I guess but the way they fish. Love all the stone buildings.

daisy cottage said...

Pat, your beautiful photos were so nice to see this morning - oh how I love the little rock church too! What sweet memories for you!
xo,
Kim

Suzanne said...

What a beautiful area, thanks for sharing it with your wonderful photos, Pat. I always enjoy my visits!

The Decorated House said...

I'm positive that I've been by to see you this week before now! But guess not because those wonderful pictures were all new to me.
It was very comforting to come by for a visit today. Thanks. You are such a good friend.
Donna

Amber said...

Lovely photos as always, Pat!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Lovely photos!

Carolyn said...

What a wonderful tour of this interesting place! Love your photos. You know I love these trips you take us on, after you and your hubby return from your memory lanes, and adventures. Thanks for sharing this one! Hugs :-)

Lisa said...

Pat Love the pictures! Such a beautiful place! I have never been but need to go!!

Lisa