Tuesday

~Springtime in the Ozarks~

~Lily, at Lowe's, Osage Beach Missouri~
*******************************************


We arrived at the lake, late Saturday. Sunday we relaxed and enjoyed the day, reading and checking in with some of our friends at the complex.

Yesterday was a rainy day. We decided to go into town, for provisions, around 11 AM. After a short stop at Lowe's, we went to HyVee, a supermarket at Osage Beach. Not long after we entered the store, we heard a siren. At first, I thought it might be a noon whistle. We have a noon whistle in our town. That is what the siren sounded like. However, this siren was not the noon whistle, but a Tornado warning. We were advised to move to the back of the store, where there is a concrete block enclosure/store room. We waited there, with several other people, until the store manager learned information about the storm and passed the news to us. The storm had just passed over my old hometown, several miles to the southwest. It was expected to be over Osage Beach at about 12:45 PM. It was a little before 12:30, when we received the information.

J and I were concerned about Molly, waiting for us in the truck. In the end we made the decision to check out with the few items we needed and drive back out to the condo. We turned on the radio, in the truck and I watched the sky as J drove. I was looking for rotation in the clouds. We could see the storm front moving in, as we approached the entry to the state park. Still no rotation. J and I have witnessed this phenomena. The rotation appears to be a whirlpool in the clouds. Just as we arrived at the entrance to our complex, heavy rain began. We reached the condo and dashed inside. I grabbed my camera and moved to the deck, where I snapped a few photos of the heavy rain.
There was no wind damage or hail in our vicinity, but several miles away, there were Tornadoes that touched down, causing damage.

In the top photo, you can see how muddy the lake is. With all the rain, this Spring, the lake has not had a chance to clear. As we drove out of town, this morning, we noticed the gates at Bagnall Dam were open, relieving the lake of extra water.
**********************************************
We visited Evergreen, early this morning, for opening day of the new season. I found a couple of items for the back porch. I'll write about them, later this week.

After Evergreen, we stopped at Lowe's where I bought 2 beautiful Orchids. I've had no experience growing Orchids, but J has a great green thumb.

While at Lowe's, I remembered I promised a bit of Spring in the beautiful Ozarks. I snapped a few photos around the garden center.

I was disappointed in the Boston Ferns, I found at Lowe's, last year. That isn't the case, this year! They are gorgeous and the price is fine, at $10.99.

I tried to think of a place, where I could use this huge Palm! Gave up and left it for another lucky person.
This grid shows perennials and annuals. Aren't they gorgeous?

Here are some of the planters and pots, at the Lowe's garden center. We both enjoyed seeing all the beautiful plants. We can hardly wait for warmer weather!

4/03/08 EDIT: We picked up two gorgeous ferns at our nearby Lowe's, yesterday. These were marked $2 more than the ones at the Osage Beach Lowe's. I'm thinking about buying a couple more. I'm sure I will find a place for them!

36 comments:

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Yikes! That had to be a scary storm. Glad all turned out fine.

I can't wait to start shopping the nurseries....won't be long now :-) Rosie

OKGardners said...

We HAD a tornado in Edmond, Oklahoma just blocks from our new home, so I'm glad you were safe up there. It is no fun while waiting to see if "something" touches down and does damage. I'm sure we would make a mad dash in any weather condition to protect our pet, too. Glad all was well there.

I love your flower & plant pix. We love SPRING around here, too.

Glad you both got to rest and relax at your lake condo.

Betty in Oklahoma

Rosemary said...

Wow Pat!!
That sounds scary, and exciting. You were just like Dorothy!!
I have never been in or near a tornado. I have lived in California my whole life. Pretty pictures of the garden center.
Thanks for visiting me today. I always enjoy your visits.
Have a wonderful night,
Rosemary

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I bought my ferns just the other day... I had that bug loaded down!

Glad the storm passed y'all by. Enjoy your get away.

shaybert said...

Pat, thank you for commenting on my page.
And surely I must have passed you or at least just missed you as you left the lake. I was in Columbia for State Convention and was on my way home, thinking of you, as I drove thru Osage Beach. I always wonder where you are when I drive thru there! Just missed ya!
Which is your hometown? We had tornados touch down in Miller and Neosho--at least that I know of. Blessings, Shay

Brenda said...

So glad to hear you are safe. I was setting at the hospital when I heard the news and the first thing I thought about was you and where you were.With the flooding and storms you sure have had me worried girl=). Glad you and J had a great time.
hugs,Brenda

bj said...

How scary that must have been. So thankful all went ok!
Beautiful shots at the nursery...
I am praying for you and J...
hugs, bj

Beverly said...

I'm glad you didn't have a negative experience with tornados this time. God bless all of those who did.

I love plant shopping. Can't wait to see pictures of the orchid.

Jen said...

This just makes me want Spring and Summer even more.

auntpittypat said...

Waiting out a storm at Lowe's does not sound like fun, especially if you were thinking about Molly.

The pictures from Lebanon and the area that I got from friends didn't look good.

Glad you got to the lake. Talk to you later....

Catherine Holman said...

Hi Pat,
I'm so glad that you and J and Molly made it back home safely. My husband and I go to Osage Beach when he's visiting with his brick customers. I'm sorry your trip wasn't more "sunny".
Hugs,
Cathie

smilnsigh said...

So glad you sustained no real damage!!!!

Adrienne said...

Thanking God with you that you are safe! What a frightening experience to go through. ~Adrienne~

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Pat...glad you're storm experience wasn't any worse....
those plants look great...I am eyeballing some flowers that I'd like to plant in the front of the house but for now they are safer in the store as it has been very Winter-ish here so far this Spring...
On Friday I am posting a 200th post Giveaway so make sure you hop over and see me!
I hope you have a great day!
Hugs,
Robin

Deb said...

So glad you, J and Molly made it back safely! Wonderful photos at the Lowe's garden center. Love the ferns!

Julie said...

There is something so cozy about a rainy day..but only if you are safe and secure in your home - and preferably with a good old movie playing on the TV!

I adore spring. It renews my soul and I am an avid gardener too. Please post more pictures of your plants and gardens when you have time.

Mrs. B said...

So glad the worst of the storm passed you by! It sounds a little scary. I hope now that you'll be able to relax!

Having lived in California my whole life, I'm always impressed by the dramatic and ever changing weather when we travel back east!

Andi said...

Your photograph of the lily is beautiful...love the color. And you did promise us some pictures of springtime in the Ozarks...I just wasn't thinking about them being taken at Lowes!!! Ther ferns are lovely.

Glad Molly was okay and that the storm passed you by. Looking forward to seeing what you got for the porch!

The Feathered Nest said...

Isn't it amazing how when you go to a simple place like Lowes, with the intentions of looking for beauty, you find it!! It's so good to see this through the camera lens and so good to find beauty in the everyday too! Thank you so much Pat for your sweet comment and you should go for it and submit something to the new magazine, go for it! And by the way the Small Town Living in an e-magazine for now and the link is on my post ~ I love for you to take a look...take care ~ xxoo, Dawn

cityfarmer said...

I will have to say that ferns are on my favorites list...how many did you purchase....I love them all massed together

I've been a bad girl...not blogging too much, but will try to do better

yellowfarmhouse said...

Pat as always your photos are so pretty. You take everyday things and always make them so pretty. Glad that you all got home safe and sound. That kind of weather always fascinates me and scares me at the same time.

Happy Spring - Karen

Pamela said...

I realize that tornado weather if frightening and destructive. BUT, I really want to experience it (safely) by doing a storm chase.

justabeachkat said...

Scary weather...yikes!

Our daughter is here visiting so my blog visiting time is limited, but I wanted to stop by and say "Hi".

Hugs!
Kat

Mrs. B said...

I'm back to let you know that I have a little award for you over at my blog. Come by and see.

M.KATE said...

hi there, really like all the pictures here :)

~~kattz*cottage~~ said...

Hi Pat!
What a fun & exciting trip but with some really scary moments - glad you're safe & sound! I love to hang Boston Ferns on my front porch so will for sure be heading to Lowe's soon! I'm just so happy spring is really here!

Enjoy your day!
Kathy

Amber said...

My parents had some tornado action in Oklahoma this week, too. Glad you got safely home (with Molly!) My mom also runs out and grabs the mongo Boston Ferns from Lowes as soon as they get them! Anyway...gorgeous photos as always....and the lake is beautiful in all its moods, isn't it?

Brown English Muffin said...

I am in love with the picture for her header on this blog...love it!!!

Sue Neitzel said...

It's been a wild winter and spring here, so glad you were safe and still enjoyed your trip! I can't believe you found ferns already?

dec0r8or said...

Oh, that's scary weather, Pat!! I'm glad you guys made it home without incident. Great pics, BTW. Oh, and I can't WAIT for our garden centers to open their doors. I am SO ready for spring!!

Q said...

Dear Pat,
I am catching up this evening with you. Glad you were safe! Storms at the lake can be fearsome!
Keeping you and J in my thoughts.
Sherry

Southern Heart said...

Pat, our area is looking a lot like yours right now. My photos of the flooded Mississippi are foggy, too (which was kind of neat). Spring seems a bit slow to come, but will come all the same. :)

I cannot believe that lily photo was taken at Lowe's! You are an amazing, gifted photographer...that is gorgeous and should be used for the front of a notecard. Lovely!

We usually get our ferns on sale at Lowe's or HD, too. The Kimberly Queen ferns do really well in our (miserable) hot summer.

I hope that you're having a good week! xo

Suzanne said...

Oh my goodness Pat! What an adventure! Glad you, J and Molly were ok.
The ferns at Lowe's look beautiful....I'll have to check ours and see what they may have in stock.

Chris said...

How frightening for you ! I have experienced a tornado, nor do I want to! I have never heard of noon whistles :-) Please tell us more! Is it something to do with lunch breaks :-)

willzmom said...

Spring is definately here-and along with it some pretty rough weather! We've been watching the news about all the storms in your area, and we've had non stop rain for the past two days! The ferns DO look better this year, some years they just are so small and skimpy.

Rue said...

Oh my Pat! That story was frightening!! I'm still not used to tornado warnings even after living on this side of the country for 8 years. All we had to deal with in CA was some earthquakes ;)

Beautiful plants at Lowes. I can't wait to go there :)

Oh and I'm still trying to picture you crawling through a window LOL

Rue