Thursday

~Leftover Makeover~

A glass and iron bistro table, covered with a vintage handmade tablecloth, sits inside the dormer.
At left, the studio, as it appeared in December 2006, when our home was featured on the local Garden Club Holiday Tour of Homes. I used this room to display various villages, we've collected.
This room is the finished bonus room, over the garage. I use it for projects such as gift wrapping, flower arranging and painting. There are three sun tunnels, that afford lots of natural light. We also installed three small track lights. There is a chandelier inside the dormer. The flooring is laminate.


The makeover of the studio, is a result of the makeover of the white bedroom, I wrote of, in a previous post.
We brought the 3/4 vintage iron bed home from our place at the lake. I thought about just storing it away in the basement, but changed my mind when I had another one of those light bulb moments! We brought it up to the studio and added bedding leftover from the master suite makeover. The bedding was formerly in one of the guest rooms. The accessories and other bits and pieces are leftovers, too.
The bird hook is a gift from a friend, to remember our Nell Hill's trip, last November.
The sweetgrass basket was purchased on a trip to Charleston, South Carolina. It holds a single sand dollar, a gift from my daughter.

The story of the iron bed began about 20 years ago. We were at a country auction, in Texas County, Missouri, where we found wonderful treasures, such as, salt glaze crocks, a crock butter churn and boxes filled with lots of fabulous junque and the bed. The bed was very rusty. We had it sandblasted, then painted white and had a mattress made specifically for the frame. Eventually it found a home in a guest room, at the farm. Several years ago, we moved it to the lake, where it was used in a guest room.

The white wicker settee, with pillows matching the bedding. The hat is handmade, a souvenir from Charleston, SC.








Closer look at the hat. The wide brim is wonderful for sunny days.

This is one of two white wicker chairs. The other is being used in the guest room, at the lake. When we were out yesterday, we stopped at Michael's, where I found the side table and stool, on sale at 60% off. They were in a natural finish. A couple coats of white paint and they are perfect with the chair. The book, on the stool, is To Kill a Mockingbird. One of my all time favorites.
The chest was purchased, several years ago, at a consignment shop. I brought it home with the idea of painting it. Here it sits, all these years later. The finish, as is, has grown on me! The little tin basket of flowers is one of the arrangements I made about 10 years ago, for a bathroom, at the farm. Until the "leftover makeover", it was in a guest bathroom, here.
***********************************************

One of our stops, yesterday, was Whole Foods Market. The store opened yesterday, in Town and Country, Missouri, near Chesterfield.

We couldn't resist bringing home two of the small fruit tarts. Delicious!
Other foods, we found, are shown in the photo below. We are happy to see this store opening. It's about a 45 minute drive for us. It's very near our doctor. Convenient for stopping, when we have appointments.
We're thrilled to have a market, specializing in organic foods, this near home.

***********************************************
My Favorite Things
Diane, Nancy Jane and Nancy have asked me to list my favorite things and pass the challenge along. It's difficult to choose just five folks from my list here and my lists elsewhere. I'm asking anyone who reads this post, to post a list of their favorite things, if they like. It will be interesting to read your favorites.
My favorite things are:
1. Books
I love to read and have quite a collection of books. I visit the library, whenever possible.
2. Old black and white movies
Among my favorites are, Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House,
The Thin Man Series, featuring Nick and Nora Charles and others from that era.
3. White dishes, in all shades and shapes.
4. Cloches in various materials, shapes and sizes.
5. Last, but certainly not least, my camera.