Tuesday

Top Projects 2009

makeoverparty

I chose five home projects, from 2009, to add to Rhoda’s Before and After event, Top Projects 2009.

Project #1…began in January, with an island dream.

makeover1A

makeover1B

Before

makeover1C

After the cabinet was sanded, the doors and drawers were removed and a tinted primer was applied, followed by two coats of oil based black paint.

makeover1D The project also included a new light fixture over the island.

Having the island a different color than cabinets is a debatable issue. There are different thoughts and ideas on the subject.

I thought about changing the color, from the stained hickory, for quite awhile before taking the step.  I tend to decorate with styles and things I love, rather than going with trends or fads.  There are several accents of black, in the kitchen/breakfast room.  A year after having painted the island, I am happy to say, I still love the look and painting was the right decision.

The color of the cabinets are not as orange as they appear in these photos. They are a softer tint and in a style that fits well with the style of our kitchen, subway tiles and manmade counters. 

I added a small chest type table, where I store table lines, at the end of the island.  It is also in black.

The table was purchased online, during a JC Penney Wednesday Deal special.  It was marked from $399.99 down to $89.99.  Certainly not a fine piece of furniture or delicious antique, but it serves the purpose and the price was right.

Amakeover8A

To read more about the island makeover, click HERE.

Project #2…the powder room was completed during April ‘09.

powderroommakeover6 Before: The paint is Ralph Lauren Long John Red.  The room has a traditional feel.

powder13[10] After: Paint color Sherwin Williams Mink helps give the room a more casual look.  The color is closer to a charcoal grey, than shows in the photos.

The paint was leftover from a project at our lake place.

powderroommakeover5  powderroommakeover3 This makeover story continues HERE.

Project #3

The purchase of a small dresser, at a garage sale, began a master suite makeover.  The French Provincial style dresser, most often seen in children’s rooms, was $25.  After sanding, a primer was applied, followed by satin latex in Sherwin Williams Front Porch.

makeover2 Before

makeover2A

makeover2B During the project, the hardware was spray painted dark brown and a patina applied with rub ‘n buff patina, burnt umber and metallic gold artists color and craft paint.

makeover2C

makeover2D

 makeover2E

After makeover2F The makeover complete, the dresser sits at the foot of the master bedroom bed.

We liked SW Front Porch so much, we painted the bathroom in that color.  The walls in the bedroom are SW Antique White.  The rug is Dash and Albert.  Bird prints are calendar pages.

At the same time, we painted the round table, also.

makeover2G

Project #4…An oak school teachers desk and chair.  The desk and chair were purchased, from a school, when my daughters were in elementary school, during the 1970’s, and used through high school and college.  It was in our daughter’s home until about two years ago, when she brought it to our home.  It sat in our garage, until last summer, when we decided to sand it and send it to an auto body shop for painting, in oil base satin black.  The paint is Benjamin Moore. I don’t recall the actual name of the shade.

makeover3 Before

makeover3A

 makeover3B

makeover3C

Project #5…a mini makeover of a guest room began with the purchase of a comforter, 75% off, at Target.

I added this 2009 makeover, to the post, as an afterthought.  There was no real work involved, in the redo. Shopping the house for a few things, the purchase of the comforter and shams, plus pillows, and the bird prints, above the bed,kept the cost at a minimum.

The paint color is Laura Ashley Gold #3. This room was painted 6 years ago, at the time our home was constructed.

AmakeoverA1

 Before

As usual, with our room redo’s, the bedding, pillows, accessories, and a few furniture pieces were moved to other rooms, in our home, or passed along to one of the children; making way for “new” pieces, borrowed from other rooms.

AmakeoverA5

AmakeoverA2

After

AmakeoverA3

I bought blue and white knobs, to replace the brass knobs on the closet doors, at Hobby Lobby, 50% off.

 

 

 

AmakeoverA4The lined roman shades and panels were replaced by bamboo and sheer white panels. A wing chair was brought in from another room.

AmakeoverA6

 AmakeoverA7

The bathroom, after.  This is a pass thru bathroom.  It is also accessed from the hallway.  The original color was a dark olive; one of the Laura Ashley olives.  I believe it was #5.  J repainted the room in Laura Ashley Gold #1, mixed in Kilz, from Wal-Mart.

Stop by Rhoda’s Southern Hospitality Wednesday, January 6th for Top Projects, 2009.

Just a footnote…..that little rooster lamp certainly makes the rounds of the kitchen area, doesn’t it?

43 comments:

Pondside said...

Well I certainly enjoyed that! What a lot of inspiration in that post. I'd never have thought about taking a large piece to an autobody shop for painting - but it's brilliant.

Beverly said...

I remember each and every one of these projects. And, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them in review.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I think it speaks volumes, Pat, that your befores are equally as beautiful as your afters! I love what you do. You always do a great job with your decor. It's fun to see!

Here's to more wonderful projects in 2010!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Granna said...

Every post is an insiration to me! Could you please post where you purchased the bird calendar? Thanks!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Wow, a lot of great projects here. Your were busy!! I especially love the kitchen island...I have toyed with painting the base of mine black and think now that I am going to go ahead with it. Love your photo's Pat!

cityfarmer said...

as well as i know you Pat, I think you will forever be doing projects.

this is a good thing, because we get to feast on all of them!

Jeanette said...

So beautiful! You are so talented. I love popping in to see the treasures you have made. Thanks for sharing.

Stacey said...

Your attention to details is just amazing. You have such pretty homes. :)

3 Docs and A Diva said...

Pat,
I love visiting you and all the inspiration I get. Although many of these I have enjoyed before, It was like coming back to a favorite magazine and taking each of the loving details of your projects. I agree with Shelia your befores are beautiful, just like your afters. It seems so effortless for you to create beauty.
I loved your snack bar re-do the first time and tried to talk my husband into doing the same here. Our counters are a grey speckled Corian, almost the same color as yours and it would add such warmth to our own area. I am going to show him this post and let him see how happy you are with it still!:)
Thanks for the lovely tour!

Brenda Eason said...

What a great 2009 your home has seen. I know she smiles with happiness. Great job!

Mary Ellen (megardengal) said...

Oh my have you been busy this past year- so much beauty came with the year and hope 2010 brings even more!!

blessings
mary

Lou Cinda said...

Beautiful!! Every single thing, I love!! You have been busy, both doing AND inspiring me!!!

Love your blog!! Looking forward to 2010 and MORE inspiration :)

Lou Cinda

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

You have to have the most restful and serene bedroom I've ever seen. Bet you get some good nights' sleep in there, Pat! Your home is just gorgeous.
Brenda

bj said...

O, Pat...every thing you and J touch turns to beauty..and such good taste.
I loved revisiting these projects of yours that turned out so nice.
xo bj

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

Pat, I love your home and your sophisticated style. You have such nice pieces and great style.

Southern Lady said...

Pat, your "befores" were pretty, but your "afters" are truly lovely. I look forward to more of your elegant "projects" for the new year.

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

I loved the review Pat! You have exquisite taste and it shows in every project you work on...

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

What gorgeous makeovers. I love them. You really did a fantastic job. All of the rooms are just beautiful. I really love the island and may take the plunge and paint mine, still thinking, but yours is just gorgeous. Your bedrooms are all fabulous. I just drooled my way through your pictures. Hugs, Marty

Kathleen said...

I think I need a nap after seeing all those ambitious projects again..amazing!
You have accomplished a lot this this year, and I expect nothing less in 2010..(no pressure..:) )

We are too old to buy 12 of everything, Pat..we have enough 12 and mores..time for cozy little gatherings.. Leave the big gatherings to the next generation! :)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I remember all these and enjoyed seeing them again. You have have busy and with beautiful results.

salmagundi said...

I think my favorite was the painting of the kitchen island. I'm not sure I could have pulled up the courage to paint such beautiful cabinets; but the results were so worth it. Looking forward to all your efforts in 2010. Sally

Diane @ Four Paws and Co said...

Wow, I loved each & every one of your projects! The kitchen island is so amazing that now I want to paint our old, ugly cabinets black! ☺♥☺

Kammy said...

Love all your warm changes for 2009 - can hardly wait to see what you do for 2010 ~
Kammy

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Pat, I loved every single project you did!! Thanks for joining the party. It's been so fun to see all your transformations in your home. They are all just outstanding. My fave is the master bedroom redo. Stunning!!

FOR THE SAKE OF TIME said...

Pat,
You have done a beautiful job of showcasing your transformations of the past year. I love them all but your guest room is my favorite. It looks like a wonderful place to spend the night. Everything about it is so relaxing.

Try to stay warm. Isn't this just terrible cold?

Charla

xinex said...

I have said it again and again and I am going to say it again, Pat. Your home is beautiful and your photographs are fabulous!...Christine

Charlene said...

What a productive year!!!!!!!! Love the island. I'm with you on the black. Great look! And I also love the dresser at the end of the bed. Wish I had room for one. And HOW CLEVER to send the desk to the body shop to be painted. I hope I remember that for the future! Thanks for sharing. Charlene

Suzanne said...

Pat, Happy New Year to you and "J".
Your transformations are inspiring and beautiful...all are look as if they should be featured in a major magazine. Looking forward to seeing many more!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Just beautiful Pat...but then I would have been happy with the befores just as lovely as the afters...Love the blue bed spread...all you ever do is wonderful my friend...Love your home....Thanks so much for coming by girl I always enjoy your visits...hope I didn't bore you with my antique junk ha ha!! Many blessings to you this year my Dear friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Barb @ GritsandGlamour said...

Pat - each project just got better and better. Your home is simply stunning. I must say though, that your bedroom transformation might be my fave. It was beautiful before...but now it is magazine worthy. You're a very talented lady. Thanks for re-sharing your home and projects with us. Blessings, Barb

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

I remember all those make overs and my favorites are the black furniture ones! You have a gift!

♥ Kathy said...

Everything turned out very nice Pat!

Marianne@Songbird said...

You sure have been busy! Love the projects you showed here. And I really love your black kitchen island! It deserves the middle of the room!

Marianne@Songbird said...

Hmm I thought I posted a comment but it seems to have vanished into cyberspace. Just wanted to let you know that I am very impressed with all of your projects, but your kitchen island is by far my favorite one.

Rue said...

Hi Pat :)

Has it only taken one year to do all of that?! I remember each one of those projects and loved every single one. You have such impeccable taste and I always admire everything you take on :)

hugs,
rue

Amy said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog. Very inspirational.

Dana and Daisy said...

I love your house Pat. I have two questions.

1. Do you and Jay do the furniture and hard case painting yourselves or hire painter? Do you have any tips about how to hire a painter for such specialty projects? (That was really two questions.)

2. Do you hire out consulting services for home styling or there is a term for it, staging I think? YOu would be wonderful at ti. In fact would you come do my home? (Also two questions.)

Rose Mary said...

I loved seeing the review of your projects. They all turned out so wonderful. I especially love the black island in the kitchen!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love all your projects ~ from the kitchen island {I love the black and I think I have the same countertop} to the bedding you got for your guest room. Great job all along!

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Pat, I remember most of these projects....that makes me feel so great! You are an inspiration!

Barb ♥

Manuela@TPOH said...

What great makeovers Pat! I'll have to take a look at SW Front Porch color.

Manuela

The DIY Show Off said...

Amazing! You certainly kept busy! I love every project. Great job! You are an inspiration! :)

Roeshel

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Great projects - I love your dresser and I really love that you put it at the end of your bed. PS - I bought the same table from JCP at the same price.