Sunday

~Three French Hens~

 tablefive

I found the container, at Three French Hens. 

I’ve combined several different subjects in this wandering post; books, table tops, decorating, and garden art. 

Friday morning, bright and early, we shopped the Friends of the Saint Charles County Library Book Fair. Attending this event is a family tradition.  This year, J and I joined our eldest and youngest daughters, at the fair.  A huge event, the Book Fair attracts people from several states.

We spent three hours browsing thousands of books.

My purchase included, among others, books for children, cookbooks and two biographies. 

We are a family of avid readers.

books1

Books are priced beginning with books for children, at 25 cents.  Hardcover books are $2, paperbacks $1.  There is a section, at the event, for specially priced books.  The cookbook, in the last book collage, is one of those books, priced at $3. The Peter Mayle two volume set was $5.  Cookbooks, in the regular stacks, were $2 for hard cover and $1 for spiral bound.  The stack of childrens books cost just over $5 total. Where can you find a stack of books, in great condition, many with library binding, for that price. 

All proceeds go to the Library Foundation.  Books, purchased by our family, are read and donated back to the book fair; recycle/reuse.

If you live in the Saint Charles Missouri area, you might enjoy attending the three day Book Fair, next year.

kidbooks

Kid Books

cookbookb

Cookbooks

 cookbook

Beautiful Cookbook

mgrks

Lunch, at McGurk’s Pub, in O’Fallon, MO.  McGurk’s is on our list of favorite restaurants.

Three French HensA

Another stop, while weekend wandering; Three French Hens, located in west St Louis County.  I was able to take these exterior shots, however, interior photography is not permitted. If you would like to take a virtual tour, click the store site HERE.

This store is absolutely beautiful.  I could spend hours just going from room to room. 

There is a variety of antiques, new furniture, accessories and gifts. Custom pieces are also offered.

tabletwo 

I managed to find a few things to bring home.

tableone

The black and white placemats and napkins were found at Three French Hens.  The placemats are reversible, with a bold black and white paisley on the opposite side.  I’ll use them in another table setting, soon.

tablethree

  • Rooster salad plates are garage sale finds, from last year.
  • Other plates and flatware from Marshall’s.
  • Napkin rings, Pier One.
  • Goblets from Target. 
  • Rooster and hen salt and peppers from Tuesday Morning. 
  • Black pedestal, Nell Hill’s.
  • Silk flowers, Evergreen Mfg. Osage Beach.

tablefour

I will be featuring other treasures found at Three French Hens, in upcoming posts.

bikeone

For now, the bike has found a home on the patio, next to the wall and Knock Out Roses.  I found a wicker basket, with a flat back, at Michael’s. It was lightly sprayed creamy white and wired to the handlebars. A bouquet of Iris, 2 books and a bottle of Coppola Chardonnay were placed in the basket for photo taking.  I have plans for a geranium, in the basket, and perhaps some sort of ribbon.

bikefourAs much as I would love to ride this old bike, I am no longer able to, due to a couple of minor physical issues. Nothing really bad, but possibly bothersome, should I try riding a two wheeler.

Continuing our weekend wandering, we are taking a couple of days off, for a little R&R at Lake of the Ozarks.  I’ll be checking in from the deck.

Enjoy your week!

(I am not compensated for mention of businesses or products)

43 comments:

Brenda Eason said...

I just love the roosters and wow what a deal on books. I would love to be at that. I just love books.

Allie and Pattie said...

Pat, I too did some thrift store book browsing this weekend- our family could probably spend an entire very happy day at your book fair!
I must tell you, I absolutely LOVE your bicycle vignette. Couldn't be more perfect and brings memories of many happy summers in Europe
xoxo Pattie

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Pat, I LOVE books, too. I re-read Peter Mayle's book (A Year in Provence and Toujours Provence) every few years. The first one is a fav - so culturally funny! Beautiful table, and I especially love the place mats and napkins in black and white - hard to beat! Linda

Kris said...

Pat- you fill your posts with amazing photos and one always fills like they are right there taking in the experience as well. Picked up an issue of Country Living yesterday and love all the home town uniqueness of the issue. Your post was the same. I just love it! Enjoy your weekend, hopefully rain free!
Kris

Kathy said...

LOVE the rooster container!
Wish I were nearby!
the books are wonderful - cookbooks! Yeah!
Looking forward to seeing what else you have to share!
Have a wonderful day,
Kathy

Martina said...

Another beautiful post!!I just love your table setting and that rooster centerpiece is just darling!!Have a great Sunday!

Shelia said...

Good morning, Dear Pat! Oh, what a lovely post! I love books too but don't seem to have the time to read. The shop does look nice and I'll have to go and check out their site. I love your pretty table setting - always. You have such flair.
The photo of your bike and basket is just darling! I do ride my bike but Mr. Precious rides around 10 to 15 miles every other day - now that's just crazy isn't it?
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Pat! Love your tablescape...gorgeous linens! I couldn't help but notice Peter Mayle among your book finds...fun! We actually went to Ménerbes, but there was a boules tournament and the little village was packed...not to mention the one- car-wide streets and my HUGE rental! lol Sooo...we drove though very quickly! Your bike looks so cute! I hope you are having a great Sunday!...hugs...Debbie

kim said...

Pat, you have such a creative flair with everything you do. That sounds like a wonderful day with your family browsing all those books and I would love to visit that shop. I love the name of it even. I have the huge pasta bowl with that rooster on it from Home Goods several years ago. Love your table setting with the black and white and the chickens of course.

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

The book fair sounds delightful! Look at all of those wonderful books.

Love the rooster bucket. Your table setting is great too! I love the way you created the one photo of the bicycle so it looks like a painting.

Carolyn said...

Pat, I love a book fair and your stack of books is so inviting!

The bike brings back happy memories and it is a beautiful addition to your garden. Once again, thanks for sharing your beautiful home, enjoy the lake!
Carolyn

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

It looks like your family had a wonderful day. Your tablescape is lovely. I have always liked black checks and your napkins will look great with the paisley too. We are enjoying a lovely Victoria Day weekend here in Ontario and looking forward to an immediate family barbecue for 30 at my brother's home on Monday. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Stephanie said...

This post has everything I love - family, great books, a great bicycle, beautiful photography, weekend wandering, and a warm and welcoming home! I am so glad I found your beautiful back porch all those months ago - I love it here! And though I am sorry to hear you can't use that old lovely, you certainly put it to good use in the garden.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sounds like an enjoyable day with family. Those are great prices on the books. I really like your table setting with the rooster theme.
Hope you have a great week.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Wow, the books are all wonderful. Such a great variety and the prices are just perfect. Love the rooster vase too. So pretty. Your table setting is perfect. The black just grounds it all so beautifully. Your floral arrangement is wonderful. Now for the bike, it is awesome. What a fabulous yard decoration. Love it. Have a super time at the lake. Hugs, Marty

THE STONE RABBIT said...

I recall you posting about the book fair last year...that sounds like a wonderful tradition for your family!

Love your tablescape....and your finds. That bike is wonderful!

Have fun on your R and R. I got up early this a.m. and FINALLY potted 8 pots of plants. I'm pooped and it's just 10:30!

L, Dana

Mimi said...

I love the library book fairs, you certainly can't find books anywhere else for their prices.
Your table setting is beautiful...the black/white really makes the green glass stand out!

Sue said...

Pat, Your table is scrumptious, with the new placemats/napkins and the great rooster plates! Is the rooster vase new, as well? And then there is that bicycle! Too darn cute. If I had a real garden area, I'd have one too. I found one for Susie Q last year and she painted it and added a basket,too. I love book fairs- I hope our area library holds one soon. Enjoy your R & R....
hugs, Sue

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

Love, Love, LOve the rooster plates!!

Kathysue said...

I just love my virtual trips with you Pat. The table setting looks lovely as all of your handi-work always does. At first when I saw the pict of the bike I thought it was a water color, that is really cool how you did that. Happy Sunday, dear friend, Kathysue

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Wonderful pictures, Pat. The rooster container is to die for!

Barb ♥

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I just adore that table you set! Very pretty and very frenchy! The bike too is so charming and what a great amount of wonderful books!
Cindy

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Ya know...you always have the dayum best time! And I envy the restaurants you get to!

Happy weekend, Pat!

S. Etole said...

Children's books and those rooster plates are among my favorite things ...

BECKY said...

Wow Pat! I think this is my very favorite table that you have set! I love the black and white with the rooster and the flatware...so warm and inviting!

I heart old bikes, so I love your photo!! You just make everything you touch so lovely! What a gift! Thank you for sharing your gift with us!!

Have a joyful week!
Hugs n love,
Becky

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Pat, Your table setting is beautiful and I love the new placemats. Enjoy your new books and have a great week.
Hugs,
Sherry

Donna said...

What great deals on your books! I love knowing I have a stack of books waiting for me. I'm trying to get a group together for our vacation, but I keep reading them all!

Donna

The Tablescaper said...

I love to wander. Looks like the both of you are good at it!

The green glasses really make your table POP!

- The Tablescaper

Beverly said...

Pat, going on an adventure with you is almost as much fun as the real thing.

I can see that Three French Hens is definitely a shop to love. Your table setting is lovely, and I am drooling over your bicycle.

xinex said...

Beautiful photos, love the roosters and all the stuff you got from Three French Hens. Sounds like a lovely store. Enjoy your stay at the lake!....Christine

Always Nesting said...

At every turn your photos just amaze me. You are the photographer I aspire to be :)

Carol at Serendipity said...

Pat,

Your blog is absolutely elegant. I love your painting of the bicycle. The mosaics are gorgeous. You are very talented.

Carol

Joy said...

Love the rooster centerpiece and dishes.. thanks for the bookfair plug! My dh and dd worked there on Sat. I was working so didn't go
but have volunteered some years. Maybe I will catch you there next year. They came home pretty tired but they get a free bag of books for helping so they were plenty happy with their loot.

Susie Q said...

Oh how I love this rooster container! It would have spoken to me too! : )
The black and white sets is so, so pretty. Classic and fresh at the same time!
The bike is wonderful! I have one that was so old, covered in rust and with two vey flat, split tires. But after a coat of burgindy spray on every available spot, it is perfect for the yard! : ) I still need to get a good basket for it...
Always a treat to visit you!!
Love,
Sue

Cindy ~ Open Ended said...

Hi Pat~ My new daughter-in-law is from O'Fallon Missouri. And we spent quite a bit of time there during the wedding festivities last year. It is a wonderful area. Love what you have done with the bike. And the place settings make me swoon!
~C~

PheMom said...

Hi! I am so glad you stopped by my blog - I love all the ideas you have here. I just wanted to let you know I finally got the recipe for that lemon poppy seed loaf cake posted. If you try it out, please do let me know how it goes. Thanks again for visiting my blog!

http://phemomenon.blogspot.com/2010/05/glazed-meyer-lemon-almond-poppy-seed.html

Damaris said...

I love ALL of your pictures!! Such BEAUTIFUL details!! And those rooster dishes, I have the matching platter, it came from Home Goods!! Wish I could find the matching plates!! XXOO

FOR THE SAKE OF TIME said...

Pat,
We are headed to The Lake tomorrow! Our whole group will be there for the long weekend. Waht fun! I adore the black and white placemats and the rooster plates. I am sure I will have to "survey the scene" at Marshall's. Have a great weekend!

Charla

Mary Lou said...

I love love love the bike and what you did with it.
Have a wonderful time. Looks like you've done a lot already and wonderful places...
Enjoy.

Julie said...

Nothing matches the feel of a book in your hands. You would have had a hard time getting me to leave that book sale too!

Brenda@Cozy Little House said...

I adore those placemats! And I'm glad to see the basket on the bicycle. It just seemed to need one. I remember I think it was last year you came home with lots of books, and I was so envious!
Brenda

Kathleen said...

I remember the book fair from last year..I can't believe a year has gone by!
I love the placemats and napkins! What a pretty table Pat.
Another adventure..good for you! Enjoy yourselves!

W.C.Camp said...

I loved the artistry of your table setting. Have you considered trying your skill out at the MO State Fair in Sedalia - August 12th? You also have some impressive photos which could be competitive as well. W.C.C.