Monday

A Back Porch Friend, Seedbox Antiques & Peach Cobbler

Bass Pro, at the corner of Sunshine & Campbell, Springfield Missouri.
~Breakfast at Hemingways~
_________________________________________
Our day trip began, Saturday, July 14th, at 6AM in Osage Beach, Missouri. Two hours later, we were having breakfast at Hemingways Blue Water Cafe*, located within Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World.*
Just after we were seated, I was approached by someone, who asked me if I have a blog called Back Porch Musings. I was so surprised! Myra visited the back porch for the first time, last Friday. She and her husband had a trip to Bass Pro and Hemingways planned for Saturday. Myra decided to see if she could spot me. She said she thought she recognized me when we were seated, but knew it had to be me, when I took out my camera. We enjoyed meeting Myra and visiting with her.
After breakfast, J and I went on the "Great Hula Popper Hunt" of 2007. Alas, the skirts for J's vintage Hula Poppers are no longer manufactured. I suppose he will have to find another surefire lure for those big Bass!
I took several photos inside Bass Pro. We both enjoy browsing this huge store. As you can see from the photos below, there is something for everyone at Bass Pro.


~All this and Starbucks, too!~
_________________________________________

Our next stop was Ozark Missouri, just a short drive south of Springfield, on Highway 65.
I absolutely fell in love with The Seedbox Antiques, located behind Lambert's Restaurant, off Highway 65, in Ozark. We met the shop's owner, Melanie, who generously allowed me to take photos. This shop is amazing! Beautiful displays of wonderful antiques. If you are ever near Ozark, Missouri, I recommend stopping at The Seedbox Antiques.
The grids below show some of the rooms at The Seedbox.
The second photo, top row, shows a table and china cabinet set, from the 1950's. J's parents purchased a set very similar to this one, in St Louis, during the 1940's. The set at The Seedbox also came from St Louis.
I'd love to have the banquette in the lower right photo. It was set with vintage aqua and white dinnerware.
We spent quite a bit of time wandering through the shop. I know I missed seeing many things. I hope to return sometime.
The photos above, show red white and blue displays.

Pictured, at right, is the beautiful vintage wicker plant stand we purchased at The Seedbox. It has found a home at the end of our kitchen island.
We saw several great antiques shops and malls in the Ozark, Missouri area. If you plan to go, pick up a brochure listing antiques shops in the area. These are available at local businesses.
Another shop we enjoyed was, Cozy Creek Trading Company*. It's located in Ozark on the opposite side of Highway 65, same exit, as The Seedbox. This shop specializes in new rustic lodge and cabin furnishings. There were several "rooms" displayed. No photography permitted, here.

Gatehouse Antiques* is also located in Ozark, Missouri. Antiques, imported from Europe, are offered here. We enjoyed browsing the shop, set up in a maze of displays. Again no photography.
The last antiques stop, of the day, was Marshfield Missouri, east of Springfield on I-44, where we found Antique Mercantile. This shop is set up in flea market style booths. Everything is beautifully displayed. I picked up a cute little item, for a giveaway, I'll announce later this week.
_________________________________________
Saturday afternoon, we visited old friends in Lebanon Missouri and had supper with them, at Dowd's, located on Historic Rte 66.
We arrived back at our lake place at 8:30PM.
If you take a wonderful Ozark antiques trip, plan for more than one day. You won't be disappointed!

__________________________________________
Sunday afternoon our friends, from Lebanon, dropped by the condo for dessert. I baked a peach cobbler, using the delicious Calhoun County (IL) peaches, we bought at Odelehr's Roadside Market, in Brussels IL.


~EASY PEACH COBBLER~
6 TO 8 CUPS FRESH PEACHES PEELED, SLICED AND SWEETENED TO TASTE
1/2 STICK BUTTER
1 CUP FLOUR
1 CUP SUGAR
DASH OF NUTMEG
1 HEAPING TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
3/4 CUP MILK
1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
PREHEAT OVEN TO 375(f)
PLACE SLICED AND SWEETENED PEACHES IN 13"X9" PAN AND DOT WITH 1/2 STICK BUTTER.
MIX DRY INGREDIENTS, ADD MILK & VANILLA. MIX UNTIL BLENDED. POUR OVER PEACHES. BAKE 35-40 MINUTES OR UNTIL TOPPING IS GOLDEN. REMOVE FROM OVEN. ALLOW TO COOL A FEW MINUTES, THEN TOP WITH SUGAR.
SERVE WITH VANILLA ICE CREAM---ENJOY!