Sunday

~Traditional Tropical Home~

maryruth7

On this Metamorphosis Monday, I’m delighted to feature the home of Mary Ruth, author of Traditional Tropical Home (Blog). 

Mary Ruth’s use of two vintage mirrors, in the fireplace vignette, is a gorgeous look for the mantel.

mondaymet 

Susan of Between Naps on the Porch, hosts Metamorphosis Monday, where you can find makeover inspiration in blog land.  Thank you Susan!

maryruth1

I’m a longtime admirer of the work Mary Ruth and her husband have put into their home. 

The above photo is a before shot of the foyer.  The following photos show the absolutely stunning results of the couple’s DIY installation of trim.

maryruth2

maryruth3 

maryruth4

maryruth5 

maryruth6 

In addition to the foyer and fireplace, more trim and built-ins, constructed by the couple, are found in the dining room, pictured above.

Hardwood flooring was also installed, by Mary Ruth and husband.

maryruth8

Working from this Ralph Lauren inspiration photo, Mary Ruth fashioned an amazing makeover of the master bedroom, shown in the following photos.

Notice the headboard, made of doors and beautiful crown molding.  The bed linens, though RL inspired, are from other sources.

maryruth11

maryruth14

maryruth13

Mary Ruth Describes Her Style

“I look for anything that is Empire style or has the lines of that style in it. Then I simplify it a bit (due to not wanting the 'museum' room complete with dust and cobwebs, I want to be able to use my stuff) and then add some relaxed beach feeling to it, like I am on vacation, so I don't want to fuss. That is how I describe my look. And I feel like a guest in my own home! This keeps it FUN for me! Duncan Phyfe is a great look with mahogany woods that add a drama with their clean lines. It is best when not cluttered all in one room, but showcase each piece separately. I love white or light colored walls as a back drop and this makes the mahogany pop. I also love moldings and texture added to walls, this creates interest and shadows in late day lighting. I think the Duncan Phyfe lends itself well mixed with the more relaxed wicker and island feel that I learned to love in South Florida”.

To see more of Mary Ruth’s beautiful home, please visit her at Traditional Tropical Home.

Thank you for allowing me to feature your home, at the Back Porch, Mary Ruth!

Photography by Mary Ruth