Sunday

~Salt Glaze and a Rooster~

PRACTICE

roosterlamp2 Lately, I’ve neglected to practice what I preach. 

My dear friend Kim, of Daisy Cottage, has a new camera. When she asked, I gave her this advice; Practice Practice Practice, as she gets acquainted with her new “big” camera.

In my recent efforts to hurry up and get a post ready, I’ve been less than happy with my photography.

I’ve decided it is time to take time.  Quality rather than quantity is going to be my renewed personal goal, when picture taking and posting, in 2010.

Sunday morning, I practiced with my 50mm lens.  I rarely use this little lens, because I just do not take the time.

You will notice, in these photos, only portions of the subject are in focus.  That’s the way it goes with the 50mm.  Focus on what you want to highlight, adjust the lens for a clear view of that focal point, then shoot.  One thing, I particularly like, about the 50mm, is the lowlight capabilities.  This helps during gloomy days, we have experienced all winter, here in Missouri.

The rooster lamp is a favorite accessory, I don’t think I’ll tire of, anytime soon.  The lamp has made several appearances, here at the Back Porch.

I found the lamp at a garage sale, the year we built our home(2003).  I probably paid too much, as garage sale prices go. But the instant I saw the lamp, I loved it.  I’ve changed the finial and shade and still like the lamp as much as I did, when I spotted it in that garage, 7 years ago.

roosterlamp

Are roosters out?

This brings us to the actual subject of this post.  Buying/collecting and using things we love, instead of allowing trends and fads to dictate how we accessorize our homes. 

I admit, I’ve been guilty of following along and buying what I believed to be the correct and stylish accessory.  A problem I’ve had with this method of my own personal decorating is, I soon tire of these “in” items. This can get expensive, if I’m not careful.  When I decorated the hearth room/breakfast room/ kitchen, for Christmas, I dug deep into the cartons, stored away in the basement, and found things I used during the early to mid 1990’s.  In doing this, I rediscovered my appreciation for these things, that may be considered “out”.

Saturday afternoon, J and I went on a mini antiquing/junking excursion.  During the little trip, we visited a new antique mall, just up the road.

To my delight, I found several newer pieces of salt glazed pottery, from Maple City Pottery, Monmouth, Illinois.  I picked up three jars with an idea to use them on the kitchen island, for holding flatware.

I happen to love salt glazed pottery.  I have only a few pieces and hope to find more.  I don’t believe this pottery is used as accessories as much as in the past.  I suppose some folks may consider salt glazed pottery “out”.  I don’t care. I’m using it on my island, anyway.

After arriving home and unpacking the three jars, I had a twinge of remorse. No, not for buying the pieces.  The remorse came from not buying another piece, that caught my eye.  I told J about these remorseful feelings.  J, being J, suggested we go back and get the jar, I left behind.

saltglaze2

The 18-200 Lens was used for this vignette photo.  The other photos were done with the 50mm lens.  Canon Rebel Xti, is the camera.

saltglaze3

This ovoid salt glazed jar was purchased at Crocker & Springer, in historic Elsah, Illinois, several years ago.  I added it here, as an example of another Illinois pottery. The crock jar was fired in a wood fired kiln. We viewed the process, from start to finish, when we toured Crocker & Springer.

Crocker and Springer Pottery information can be found HERE.

saltglaze4

The eye catching pineapple drew me to this piece, Saturday afternoon.  I also like the bail handle.

This jar and the following are from Maple City Pottery.

Information can be found HERE.

saltglaze5

 saltglaze6

 After discovering my remorse, we returned for this jar.  I believe it’s a 2 gallon or #2 size.  I love the stylized willows and saltbox house.

I’m doing a bit of research and a Mapquest, for Monmouth, Illinois.  We’re hoping to take a road trip, when weather improves.

Please stop by Barb’s Grits and Glamour, Tuesday, for vignette, accessory and collectible inspiration.

TabletopTuesLg