Sunday

~Guest Room Makeover Finish~

***********************************************
The guest room makeover was completed this afternoon. We moved the bed from our room and had the headboard painted Benjamin Moore Bavarian Cream, at a local auto body shop. The quilted spread and dust skirt were previously used in the master bedroom. I found bedside tables in our basement storage and the studio. The prints and plates were either used in other rooms or stored away.

I tried to repurpose furniture and accessories whenever possible, for this little project, keeping the makeover cost to a minimum.

I used the sheers that were on the double window, on the iron bed we moved from this room to the master bedroom. Therefore, I needed to purchase a new window treatment, for the guest room.

I love the look of bamboo shades. Because our windows are Andersen tilt out windows, inside mount is not possible. I opted for one shade to cover the double window, rather than a shade for each. The shade is mounted above the window. I purchased lined and interlined panels and ran them directly onto the rod, rather than attach rings. I wanted the panels to gather tightly at the top and billow out a bit, toward the floor.

I edited the title photograph in black and white, because the room has a vintage feel.

I moved the floor lamp from J's lodge room and exchanged shades with another lamp. The chest is accessorized as it was before the makeover. I wanted a comfortable chair and a good reading light for our guests. The chair was given to us by our niece. We had it reupholstered a few years ago.
A view of the bed from the wing chair.

The small oak desk once belonged to my mother. I believe it's from the early 1900's. The chair is one of six we found in the back room of an antique shop, several years ago. We painted them and covered the seats in the floral fabric. These chairs were previously used around our farmhouse table, in the breakfast room. I'm looking around for a different fabric for the seat of this chair.
The Lenox pear on the back of the desk is filled with potpourri. A small basket of dried roses sits on a stack of decorating and wreath making books. I found the lamp at Home Goods, last week. Because the desk is being used as a bedside table, I wanted a substantial lamp for good lighting.
The print to the right in the photo depicts Haldemand Bay Harbor, Mackinac Island Michigan. The print is a memento of our trip to the island.
I gave the second bedside table quite a bit of thought. Today, as I was standing in the guest room, pressing the panels, I thought of this little oak plant stand.
We found the stand at a country auction, many years ago. The sale was at one of the oldest homes, in our county. At one time it was an inn where cattle drovers on their way to market, with livestock, spent the night.
There was a rainstorm the day of the sale. The little stand was drenched in rainwater. We fell in love with it and knew it had to come home with us. It's been used in different rooms here and in our home at the farm.
I decided it would now make the perfect second bedside table. There is room for a cup of tea and a stack of books. These books are a collection of poems by Emily Dickenson and The Wit and Wisdom of Harry Truman. This last, a perfect book for a Missouri guest room.
Four small plates above the headboard were purchased at an antique shop near Camdenton Missouri, last year. The oval plate above the print is Lenox.
Having completed this project, it's time to move on with the master bedroom makeover. More about that later.