Saturday

~Wild Blackberry Cobbler~


My thanks to everyone who enjoyed our visit with Aunt Ruth. She is J's mother's younger sister and the only survivor of four girls. We treasure our relationship with Aunt Ruth.
Audrain County Missouri bears J's maternal family name. I must get there, one day soon, for a photo of the courthouse to add to my collection.
If you recall, we took a bowl of fresh picked wild blackberries to Aunt Ruth, Wednesday afternoon. Early Friday morning, I baked a cobbler with our berries. Naturally, I sampled the cobbler, warm from the oven, with vanilla ice cream. I've included the recipe, below*.
***********************************************
Today, we are planning an excursion to Historic St Charles Missouri. We're attending a reception, at a gallery, showing works of an artist friend of our friends, JoAnn and Jim. We haven't met Mary Ann, but we've heard wonderful things about her. We hope to see her at the gallery.
Our St Charles trip would not be complete without a stroll on Historic South Main. The weather promises to be cooler. I will have my camera and I'll take lots of notes, for a post sometime Monday or Tuesday, this coming week.
Have a wonderful weekend.
~BLACKBERRY COBBLER~

*Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray or melt 1/2 cup butter in dish. I used the spray and like it better.
*Wild blackberries are smaller and sweeter than tame berries. The cobbler will take less berries when using tame.
*6 to 7 cups berries (wild), sweetened to taste
*sprinkle about a tbsp of cornstarch over the berries, mix and set aside
*In a large bowl, combine:
2 cups sugar
2 cups self rising flour
Dash of nutmeg
Add, to the mixture, two cups milk containing a teaspoon of vanilla extract and mix together. The batter will be slightly lumpy.
Pour batter into prepared baking dish and top with berries.
Bake one hour or until crust is golden.
This is is my variation of a recipe that has been around several years.
I use the batter recipe for peach cobbler, also.
The dessert bowls and dishes, shown in the photos, are Depression Glass, Miss America.