Sunday

~Just a Little Trim Please~

remake3A

I’m returning from my little break, well rested, with a Metamorphosis for Monday.  Stop by Susan’s, at Between Naps on the Porch, for more makeovers, each Monday.

mondaymet

Three years ago, this summer, we added trim to the breakfast bar, kitchen and breakfast room. 

I looked through my archives, on our big old clunky, slow moving computer, and found a few, in progress, photos.

I am now happily back on the speedy little laptop!

Imagine the area under the breakfast bar and the column completely bare of trim and painted Laura Ashley Gold #3. 

The first photo shows the area after the trim was partially added. Trim Guy made the brackets,using an inspiration photo I found online.  We wanted a heavy look to the trim. Baseboard was used to achieve the effect. 

The beam is load bearing; necessary, as well as ornamental. It was narrow, not “beefy” enough to suit us; therefore, trim and 1x10’s were used.  The wiring was dropped down and a larger opening made for the box.

At the same time, crown molding was installed around the breakfast room and kitchen.  Because there is a cathedral ceiling, in the hearth room, we decided against crown molding there.

Furniture was stacked around the hearth room, because the living room was painted at the same time we had the trim done.  This is also when we added the trim above the dining room window and shelf over the master bathroom mirror.

The wainscoting was added, in the dining room, at the time our home was built, in 2003.

renake11

remake10

remake12

The following photos continue the progress of trim in the kitchen/hearth room/breakfast room.

remake6A

remake4A

remake7A

Here, you see the column before it was wrapped in trim. The trim at the top had just been added when this photo was taken.

There was no formal plan for the design of the column trim.  As the work progressed, Trim Guy and I worked together finding a way to build what I was “seeing”, in my mind. 

remake8A

 The following photos show the breakfast room/hearth room and kitchen trim, as it is, today.

Remake30A

remake21A

When looking at trim for wainscoting, etc., don’t forget baseboard.  I love the look of our breakfast bar, done with baseboard and white paint; giving it a paneled appearance, at a fraction of the cost of paneling.

remake20A

remake22A

remake23A

remake24A

A Jim Shore Santa provides a bit of whimsy.

remake25A

remake26A

remake27A

remake28A

remake29A

~July 25th, 2009~

remake15A

 Thanks, so much, for the phone calls, e-mails, Facebook and decor group messages and to all who left comments on my Taking a Break post.  Your wonderful birthday wishes mean so very much to me!

We had a quiet dinner for two, Saturday evening, at Calvin’s at Woods Fort Country Club, where the above photo was taken.

We both had salad; I had Lemon Pepper Chicken over Pasta and a steamed vegetable mix.

J had the Strip Steak, with baked potato and the steamed vegetable mix.

I counted my pre-dinner cocktail as dessert.

My gift was a pre-birthday shopping trip to Chico’s, The Meadows at lake Saint Louis, MO.  I love Chico’s! 

remake17c

remake18c

remake16B

Have a wonderful week!