Thursday

~Peachy Dessert & Other Goodness~

Foodie_Friday_Logo_2

I baked an easy peach cobbler, for one of my contributions to this week’s Foodie Friday.

Stop by Designs by Gollum, each Friday, for delicious dishes from blogland.

peach10

peach9

I doubled the flour, sugar, milk, etc and put the berries on top, when I made Wild Blackberry Cobbler, using this recipe, last summer. I wrote about it here.

J just reminded me, I still have a bag of those Blackberries in the freezer.

I believe I posted about Peach Cobbler a couple of years ago.  I can’t find the post.  Oh well…it’s worth repeating.

peach7

About 15 miles east of our home and just across the Mississippi River, you will find Calhoun County, Illinois.  Each summer, we wait with anticipation for Calhoun County Peaches to ripen.  Find more about Calhoun County, Illinois HERE.

Sometimes we hop aboard the Golden Eagle Ferry, to Illinois and take the back roads, to the orchards. Other times, we find the peaches, in our town, sold from the back of a truck.  The Calhoun peaches, used in today’s dessert, were purchased from a truck.

Peach Dessert-Easy Cobbler

12 or 14 peaches (these are clings)

1 stick unsalted butter

1 cup flour

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

Sprinkle of nutmeg

3/4 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350

Peel, slice and sweeten peaches, to taste.

Assemble dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.

Add vanilla to milk and stir into dry ingredients until well blended.

Batter will be slightly lumpy.

Pour peaches into 9x13 baking dish and dot with butter.

Pour batter over peaches, bake in 350 oven, 35 to 40 minutes,  until batter is golden.

When cool, sprinkle a small amount of sugar over top.

Option: A large can of peaches, in heavy syrup, can be substituted for fresh peaches.

~Summer Saturday Supper~

dinner11

dinner8a

Well, of course I put the dessert first!

One of our favorite summertime meals; green beans and new potatoes, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers & onion and cornbread.

dinner3a

We like our green beans and potatoes cooked in one pot. 

Stem and break about 2 pounds green beans.  Place in large pot and cover with water, to top of beans.  Cut ham into small pieces and place over beans.  Cut 1.5 pounds new potatoes into quarters; do not peel. Place the potatoes over the ham and green beans; cover and bring to boil.  Reduce heat and cook 1 to 2 hours. 

To complete the meal, cook a few ears of corn, slice a fresh tomato, or two, prepare a bowl of cucumbers and onion. Last, but absolutely not least, bake a big iron skillet of cornbread

dinner1a

Cucumbers & Onion

This is one of my favorite summertime dishes.  J does not eat cucumber.  I usually make just a small bowl, unless the kids are here.  Then I make two batches; one with onion and one without.  I have to have the onion, oh my goodness.

Several cucumbers (homegrown is best), peeled and sliced

1 sweet onion, sliced

Cider Vinegar

Water

Salt

Cracked Pepper

Sugar.

Mix equal parts vinegar and water, add salt, pepper and sugar, to taste.  Pour mixture over cucumbers and onion. Chill for a couple of hours.

I’ve used this mix for a week to ten days, adding cucumber and onion, along the way.

Most of the fruit and vegetables, used in this meal, were grown in Missouri and Illinois. The ham is also a Missouri product.

paulaD.

Photo taken from Southern Lady-Nancy’s post.

How appropriate that I saw Nancy’s post, about Paula’s new furniture line, just as I was about to publish this post, featuring good ol’ down home cookin’!

Stop over by Southern Lady to read about this fabulous new furniture line!

Giveaway~

Carol, of Long Ramblings, is having a giveaway from Leen Graphics.

For details, click the link above or the button on my side bar.